Many of the children to whom we teach the Smart Choices program are actually AIDS orphans. When we started in 2004, we quickly saw a need to help these children. Instead of reinventing the wheel, Beacon of Hope partnered with Horizon International to help provide for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of these children.
Beacon of Hope, Intl. and it's affiliates has taught the Smart Choices program to over 80,000 school children in South Africa, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. This program consists of six, one-hour lessons covering the following topics:
- Identifying Your Dreams
- HIV Transmission
- Living with HIV
- Making Live Choices
- Amazing Love
- Making an Impact
Through lectures, games, demonstrations, and worksheets taught by African nationals and American trainers, children learn the cause-and-effect relationship between their choices and their life situations. With HIV infection rates at 50% and higher in some areas, the education they receive can literally save their lives.
There are currently 17 native teaching teams on the ground in Southern Africa. For more information about the Smart Choices program, please Contact Us.
Bringing the HOPE and message of salvation to the African people who are confronted daily with the hardships caused by the pandemic spread of the HIV virus.
Teaching at-risk children how:
- HIV is transmitted
- To care for those who have contracted it
- To make Smart Choices in life to avoid contracting and transmitting it themselves
Promoting Judeo-Christian values with the Smart Choices program
- Abstinence before marriage
- Faithfulness to one partner in marriage
- Established as 501(c)(3) in 2007
- Operating in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Uganda*
- Completed training of over 130,000+ students*
- Focused on equipping local leadership and financial accountability
*As of December 2016